Candidates meet the followings will be considered for admission into the rearing program
- Have high will toward the acquirement of knowledge and skills needed to deal with various environmental problems, particularly, problems in water basin environment faced by developing countries; and want to play an active role globally.
- Wish to learn knowledge in humanities and social science that have strong relations with basin water environment, and to learn the latest specialized knowledge in the field.
- Have high communication ability with either English or Japanese, or have a strong will to achieve such ability through the rearing program.
- Have solid ethical sense and desire to contribute as environmental leaders in their home countries for students from the Asian region.
- Desire to take a leading role in international environmental cooperation and exchanges.
→Download guidebook of Gifu University Rearing Program for Basin Water Environmental Leaders
Selection Method and Application Documents
Foreign students presently living abroad are first admitted into the
university as non-degree research students. Using the period as
research students, they can prepare for entrance examination required by
the graduate school for master's degree studies (two years) into one of the
three divisions hosting the rearing program: the Division of Civil and Environmental Engineering, the Division of Energy Engineering and the Division of Biological Production Science of the Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, while learning basic knowledge and some laboratory
work under the guidance of their perspective supervisors of choice.
- *Research students: Those who want to study for a specific
research subject in Gifu University may be admitted as a non-degree
research student. In most Japanese universities, many applicants get
admission as a research student first and prepare for an entrance
examination for entering the graduate school for a master's or
Admission as a Research Student
- Qualifications for Application
Documents to be submitted
- Those who have completed a 16-year course of school education overseas
or will complete it by September of the year of application.
- Those who have a bachelor's degree from an overseas educational institution
(including those who are studying in a master's course) or will be awarded
a degree by September the year of application.
- Application form (attached format)
- Certificate of completion of university or college work issued by
the appropriate authority of the university or college
- If the applicant is currently studying in a university or college and
is expected to complete his/her undergraduate study by not later than
September 2020, a letter of expected completion to be issued by the
university or college with its official seal should be submitted.
- Certificate of bachelor's degree issued by the authority of the
university or college
If the applicant is currently studying in a bachelor's course and is
expected to obtain a bachelor's degree by not later than September 2020,
a letter of certification of degree completion issued by the university
or college with its official seal should be submitted.
- Certified academic record of undergraduate course issued by the authority
of the university or college.
The certified academic record is only acceptable if issued by the
university or college authority and the original (fresh) official seal
is attached. An official document indicating the ranking of the
applicant in the class he/she attended is also expected, which should
be issued by the authority of the university or college.
- Certificate of English proficiency (preferably, the score of TOEFL (iBT) or TOEIC (including TOEIC-IP))
- If the applicant does not have the score of TOEFL or TOEIC, other
certificate or document that could certify the applicant's English
proficiency (based on his/her academic records) from his/her University
or supervisor is also acceptable.
- For Chinese applicants from the
mainland, if TOEFL or TOEIC score is not available, the certificate certifying
that the applicant has successfully passed the national English
proficiency test for grade 6 (CET6) is required.
Address of documents submission
- Medical certificate to be
issued by a medical institution in his or her home country (attached format)
(Note) All documents should be prepared in either Japanese or
English. If prepared in other languages, translation should be
The application deadline
Basin Water Environmental Leaders Promotion Office,
River Basin Research Center, Gifu University
1-1 Yanagido, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
The application must arrive at Basin Water Environmental Leaders Promotion Office NO LATER than April 15, 2020.
Method of Selection
Selection will be made by documents examination, direct interview or
Admission to Graduate Schools for Master's Degree
- Prior Suitability Evaluation
Based on the learning situation at the university as a research student, evaluation will be made before the entrance examination for graduate school to see if the student is suitable as the candidate for the rearing program of basin water environmental leaders. This will be performed based on the views of his or her academic supervisor and an oral examination (including presentation).
- Entrance examination
Following the prior suitability evaluation, the student can take the entrance examination of one of the three divisions for a master's degree study (two years program): the Division of Civil and Environmental Engineering, the Division of Energy Engineering and the Division of Biological Production Science of the Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology. For application documents and procedures, one can reference to the application booklet of each graduate school for details.
- As mentioned earlier that, since foreign students will be admitted into the university first as a research student, the preparation and submission of application documents needed for the graduate school can be done during the time when he or she is on the campus as a research student.
- Excellent graduates from the two years master course program can seek a further study opportunity in the three years doctoral program of the Graduate School of Engineering or the United Graduate School of Agricultural Science.
Japanese students for the rearing program will be selected from those who pass the entrance examination required for master degree studies (two years) by one of the three divisions hosting the rearing program: the Division of Civil and Environmental Engineering, the Division of Energy Engineering and the Division of Biological Production Science of the Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology.
Excellent Japanese graduates from the two years master course program can seek a further study opportunity in the three years doctoral program of the Graduate School of Engineering or the United Graduate School of Agricultural Science.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Gifu University Rearing Program for Basin Water Environment Leaders All Rights Reserved.